Yesterday afternoon I hosted the women in my family and a few girlfriends for an afternoon of food, fun and laughs. Along with serving my favorite wine, I opted to serve mojitos. We sipped on mojitos while enjoying the gorgeous August day. After searching the web for the perfect recipe, I decided I was better off creating my own. Here is the recipe that Veronica and I came up with. Let us know what you think!
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 2 handfuls of fresh mint leaves
- 1 ½ ounces of light rum
- ½ lime
- 1 can of Sprite or club soda (optional)
Simple Syrup Mix: Mix ½ cup sugar with ½ cup water in a saucepan and heat until boiling. Stir until the sugar dissolves (about a minute). Then turn off the heat. Toss in a handful of mint leaves and let it steep (just sit there off the heat) for an hour or so. Strain out the leaves and store in the fridge until you’re ready to use it.
- Pour 1 ounce mint-infused simple syrup into a tall glass.
- Add a handful of mint leaves, and muddle it together. (Use a muddler or a spoon.)
- Add crushed ice and muddle some more.
- Add to that 1 ½ ounces of light rum.
- Squeeze in the juice of half a lime.
- Add a splash of Sprite or club soda and stir.
- Garnish with a mint sprig and a slice of lime.