Congratulations on your engagement! Did you know that we are in the thick of what we call “Engagement Season” in the wedding industry? With Thanksgiving and Christmas behind us, and New Year’s and Valentine’s Day on the horizon, thousands of couples will be tying the knot in the near future. Planning a wedding is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. How you approach the planning process is the foundation for the overall success of the planning experience. You’ve got your mate; you’ve got the ring, but now what?! Here are five simple tips to make your engagement and planning experience joyful and stress-free! Let’s get started:
1. Hear Ye, Hear, Ye!: Announce your engagement to family and close friends first. We know you can’t wait to share the excitement with the world! But first, make sure you spend some time reaching out to family and friends before they find out via social media or third parties. Once you have shared the news with your tribe, feel free to share the good news with the world.
2. Just Breathe: Take some time to stop and enjoy the moment! Before you dive into wedding magazines, blogs and all things bridal, spend some quiet time with your mate and live in the moment!
3. Dollars and Sense: Set aside some time with your fiancé to discuss budget and priorities. We always tell our clients that your marriage lasts a lifetime, your wedding is one day! Invest wisely. Determine what dollar amount you feel comfortable spending once it’s all said and done. You can’t spend money you don’t have. Make sure you are transparent and realistic when discussing your financial comfort zone(s). The next conversation relating to budget is a discussion with your family members to determine if and what they can contribute.
4. Come One, Come All: Now that you know how much you can afford to spend on your wedding, it’s time to discuss your guest list. Do you envision a small intimate celebration? Are you looking forward to a room full of relatives, friends and colleagues? Determine how many people you plan to host throughout your wedding weekend. Your wedding planning will work with you to determine how you can effectively use your budget to enhance the guest experience.
5. Let the Fun Begin!: Now that you have discussed a few basics, it’s time to call in the professionals! Be sure to reach out to a PROFESSIONAL wedding planner to guide you along the way. There are no do-overs when it comes to planning your most special day. Lean on the knowledge and support of a wedding planner and designer to work with you to execute your vision, manage your budget, guest list, bridal party and vendor dream team!
The Geomyra Lewis Weddings and Events team wishes you much fun and success in planning your wedding celebration! We look forward to the opportunity to work with you!